Government agencies that need your address to carry out their work will automatically be notified of your change of address when you register with your local authority. However, there are also companies that need your change of address to provide you with services. For example, they can forward mail to your new address after you have moved.
Some of the companies to whom you need to provide your new address:
- Telephone and internet companies, such as KPN, Ziggo;
- Your bank, such as RaboBank or ING;
- Newspapers and magazines you subscribe to, such as NRC, the Telegraph, National Geographic, AutoWeek, Linda;
- Transport companies you have a subscription to, such as NS or car-sharing platforms
- Charities, such as the Heart Foundation, the WWF;
- Sports clubs, fitness;
- Your employer;
- House of worship;
With some companies you can also deregister when you move, such as with the dentist and GP in your old home town. Remember to look for a new dentist and GP in your new place of residence in time. That way you know where to go the moment you urgently need a dentist or GP.
Moving service from PostNL
A handy service to ensure that all your mail lands at your correct, new address is PostNL’s Moving Service (Unfortunately, they only have a Dutch website page for this service)
This service offers 2 conveniences:
- your mail is forwarded to your new address for a number of weeks after your move, with you choosing the number of weeks;
- the Moving Service allows you to quickly pass on a change of address to organisations, so that mail from these organisations will henceforth be sent to your new address.
Even if you move abroad, you can have PostNL forward your mail to your new address. This is done through the Forwarding Service.
Cheap alternative to the moving service
A good and cheaper alternative to the moving service is to keep track of which organisations you get mail from a few months before your move yourself. If you note down each mail sender, you will already have the vast majority of organisations and companies that need your address listed. You can then systematically notify all these companies and organisations of your move. Ideally, you will do this in one go, but there will always be agencies and organisations that will be forgotten.